Alternative Seating Options

In my early years of teaching I always had special chairs.  I'd bring in yoga balls, give up my teacher chair, and nab any different seat I could.  Students would be rewarded with a special chair for reaching specific criteria.  Well as the years went on, I stopped.  I can't pin point the reason, but these special chairs faded out of existence. 

This year I've brought them back in full force.  They aren't a reward like they were in the past, more of a rotating seating option.  I teach three classes, so we had to come up with a way for it to be fair for everyone.  Students are assigned a computer number and so I created a clip chart with the different options and the clips move down a spot each day. 

One of the options is a wobble stool.  Students both love and hate this stool, as do I.  I know in my heart of hearts that its a great way for students to release some energy and get the wiggles out.  However, when there are human tops spinning in my room, I just can't take it. I would LOVE to have more of these stools, but just could not justify buying more than one for the price.

Since the stools were so pricey, I opted to get some wobble cushions.  These are a great option for the price.  I started with four, but am down to three, one of them grew legs and walked out of my room.  The issue I have with these is that they boost the kids in their seats, so I had to raise the tables. 

Then there are the yoga balls.  These are not for the faint of heart.  I can handle small bouncing, but sometimes kids seem to be launching themselves into space.  

The back of my classroom has two tables, which are great for small groups.   I lowered one table as low it would go and the other I removed the legs, so it sat about 6 inches off the ground.  The students preferred to use the table with the legs still attached.  This made it so nobody wanted to use the other table.  Since it wasn't being used I reattached the legs and now both tables are used.



This obviously isn't seating, but more of an alternative learning option.  The student is standing on a balance board that I acquired from 5 Below.

Students work with a variety of seating choices.  I have a handful of yoga balls in my room.  I also have created crate stools.  I created these using an online tutorial.  Pretty much a file crate, with a plywood insert that has been covered with a foam cushion and fabric.  Students often add another pillow to the top of the already cushioned top. (I tried to make them extra cushy, but apparently they aren't cushy enough).
I had an extra computer monitor at my house since my husband upgraded.  I brought it to school and attached a Chrome-cast.  I had lots of issues getting the Chrome-cast to work with the school's network, but finally was able to get it to work.  I love this option for small group instruction in the back of the room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Try-a-box Strictly Briks

Orb Slime Time thanks to Tryazon

Melrose Rocks Continued