Edcamps Changed My Life

Last year Edcamp St. Aug was my first Edcamp.  It changed my life, no really it did.  I went in extremely unsure of myself, not knowing what to expect, I was with my principal, and I knew no one else.  I was completely out of my comfort zone.  Best. Day. Ever. 

The atmosphere was inspiring.  The student led tour of the absolutely AMAZING Palencia Elementary School was jaw dropping.  The stuff they do at this school; gardens, recycling, weather station, solar panels, nighttime ice making for daytime cooling purposes…. WOW!

Above the physical atmosphere, the people, oh man the people.  So crazy teachers, principals, coaches that give up part of their Saturday to learn and share with others, these people are who I want to align myself with.  These are the people that are going to change the world. I want to be one of those people.

I don’t exactly remember all the sessions I went to.  I walked away with more information that I could possibly handle.  All sorts of programs that were out there that I could be using.  Resources that I didn’t know existed.  Cool apps that I’ve since acquired and have changed my teaching and how my students learned. Plus I won some pretty sweet swag.

Flash forward a year to Edcamp St. Augustine 2017....

My heart is still so happy. These people, these amazing crazy people, inspire me so much.

I convinced a colleague to come with me and then dragged her on the student led tour. Last year's tour was good. This year it was absolutely PHENOMENAL. This group of boys led us around the school. They were so knowledgeable about what things were, why they were there, the purpose behind them. Then to top it all off they knew the school's missions and goals. They were able to explain about these super nifty skateboard racks made out of re-purposed bathroom stalls that helped with their goal of being an environmentally friendly school. The amount of pride these boys had for their school was OUTSTANDING. Then to hear them talk about their teacher, what a lucky lady.
Awesome skateboard racks
Every place is a place for learning

We were in the library and after they were explaining the Accelerated Reader program to us, one of the boys noticed my phone case. It's the Marauder's Map from Harry Potter. This was fortunate because their teacher LOVES Harry Potter. In fact their classroom is Harry Potter themed, maybe themed it too loose of a word. The students are sorted into houses, most of the displays are from the books, they play Quidditch at recess.... It was astounding. They let us peak into their darkened classroom, with such pride. Explaining some of the cool details that their teacher had craftily assembled for them. My heart was overflowing. These students left such a big impression, it's hard to fully explain the impact.

Harry Potter classroom

Display outside 5th grade classroom
 The sessions didn't disappoint either. I learned about virtual field trips with Field Trip Zoom and Mystery Skype. We talked about technology toys and coding. How to get grants and projects funded. I went to session about flexible seating, which seemed to be the norm at Palencia.

It was another awesome experience. I have grown so much since last year. Edcamps have really opened my eyes. I can get bogged down in the low moral and negativity that seem rampant in education, or I can rise above it. There are people who are out there, who are doing amazing things. Even though I feel isolated at my school with some of my crazy ideas, I feel validated in knowing there are others out there doing similar crazy things. I am better for knowing these people, connecting with them, and being inspired by them.


Beautiful garden that is used to prepare food in the cafeteria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Try-a-box Strictly Briks

Orb Slime Time thanks to Tryazon

Melrose Rocks Continued